Toyota BZ Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
First off, I’m not keen on Elon Musk, the way he runs the company or the way he treats his workers and others.

Secondly, I think the way they sell their driving assistant features is dangerous and irresponsible.

Thirdly, I didn’t enjoy driving a model 3. I found the screen and constant bing bongs annoying, the indicator stalk not suitable for European roads and the size of the hit points and amount of information you were expected to read while driving way too much. It encourages you to look at the screen not the road, and that’s really bad.

·
Registered
50 Posts
2. It's not a Toyota.
3. I expect the Teslas to be in the junk yard within about ten years of manufacturing, for all the M3s and MYs.
4. I expect the Toybaru I am ordering to be running decently for me in 20 years when it's about time for me to stop driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tesla's long term reliability is still not proven. Yes, the Model S has been around for a while but one model isn't enough to determine reliability of a brand beyond 10 years. Toyota has proven their hybrid vehicles can run at very low cost reliably well beyond this time frame. Toyota takes a conservative approach to ensure their vehicles maintain long term reliability. It seems Tesla pushes out as much as they can and don't share the same approach. If I am going to spend $40,000, it will definitely be on a brand that focuses on longevity rather than sales numbers.
So true

·
Registered
14 Posts
BZ is cheaper for the size and easier to jump in and drive. It will be for my wife because she doesn’t want to deal with Tesla’s driving dynamics. Toyota/Lexus is my go to brand I have owned for over 30 years. My 2001 double cab Tacoma is still running. Tesla is a far more superior engineered car than the BZ will ever be. I enjoy driving my M3 but it takes a little time to get used to the system. Once you set the driving dynamics, it’s set.

I just bought a 2022 Corolla XSE and the system it uses is like a blackberry compared to a iphone. You have to keep resetting the driving dynamics for my driving preferences every time you shut off the engine.

Yes, there were minor issues with Tesla’s build quality but you make an appointment to fix them. I had two misaligned doors that left an imperfect gap and had them adjusted. My Tesla is 3 years old and has had no mechanical problems. The ride is stiffer than a Camry but it was designed to have sports car handling. The instant torque is insane. I am as satisfied with my Tesla as I am with my many Toyota purchases. Tesla would be the only American car company I would buy from again. If you buy a Tesla, I would suggest ordering it from a Tesla Store so you have a real point of contact during the purchase. The web purchase is just handed off to anyone if you have questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It might be a very common and an obvious one but Tesla's quality. I've seen soooo many nightmare stories from users that it stopped being funny long time ago. At this point someone could say "well, but have you actually experienced those quality issues?" and my answer is no I haven't but when it comes to car quality I don't want to take any chances specially when companies like Toyota have all this quality background in the bag. And it doesn't help that I really dislike Musk and the way he runs his companies... all that combined equals to a 100% nope not me, not now maybe not ever.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It might be a very common and an obvious one but Tesla's quality. I've seen soooo many nightmare stories from users that it stopped being funny long time ago. At this point someone could say "well, but have you actually experienced those quality issues?" and my answer is no I haven't but when it comes to car quality I don't want to take any chances specially when companies like Toyota have all this quality background in the bag. And it doesn't help that I really dislike Musk and the way he runs his companies... all that combined equals to a 100% nope not me, not now maybe not ever.
welcome to the forum @scott99! Are you looking at any other EVs along with the bZ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Welcome to the forum. Well said. Have you checked out any Teslas in person for yourself?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took a test drive in a Model Y when it first came out and was not impressed with the ride quality and amount of road noise in the cabin. The demo unit itself had build quality issues like paint that didn't match between the front and rear doors. I cancelled my pre-order soon after.

The irony is that after cancelling my Model Y due to concerns about Tesla's quality, I haven't had much luck with Toyota. The Highlander Hybrid I ordered in place of the Model Y had to be rejected because it arrived with a dent that the distributor refused to fix and, of course, this bZ4X debacle.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Highlander Hybrid I ordered in place of the Model Y had to be rejected because it arrived with a dent that the distributor refused to fix and, of course, this bZ4X debacle.

Please explain the Hylander Hybrid issue, as most would expect a new vehicle to be delivered dent-free…

·
Registered
57 Posts
Please explain the Hylander Hybrid issue, as most would expect a new vehicle to be delivered dent-free…
Long story short, six months after ordering a 2021 Highlander Hybrid, it finally arrived. I did the paperwork and while getting the new vehicle orientation, I noticed a dent above the fuel door. Actually, "dent" is the wrong word -- it was an impression pushing out of the metal vs. pushing in, like something dinged it from the inside out.

No problem, I thought. They should have caught it during their PDI, but it should be an easy fix. The distributor sent their body shop manager over to assess -- he concluded that it wasn't an area they could do paintless dent repair (PDR) and that the panel would need to be repaired and repainted. Furthermore, since he felt it was a factory defect (vs. damage on the lot), they would need to take it up with Toyota to see who'd be responsible for paying between the dealer, distributor, and Toyota.

At this point, the distributor's representative was also brought over and tried to convince me that this type of imperfection is inevitable with mass produced vehicles.

Ultimately, I was given a choice -- get it repaired (meaning possibly repainting a brand new vehicle) or reject it. Neither option was great -- partially self-inflicted because I had sold my car prior to picking up my new Highlander.

I decided to reject and start over. In a way, it was for the better -- I ordered a Venza, the dealer and distributor were able to arrange a swap for an incoming unit to get me something sooner, and I saved quite a bit money between the two.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts