Toyota BZ Forum banner

Reading Manual ...

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Tweebs 
#1 ·
First, Came across a warning... When car has been charged to 100% - DO NOT LEAVE IN HOT SUN. (just another reason to limit how often you charge to 100%).

2nd, I was reminded by the hotline people that there is a break-in period! (she mentioned it was found on page 83-84, which it is not in any version of the manual) I did find in the old original it was on page 220, (and also in the brand new January 2023 version, SAME page.).
- Says for the first 600 miles (do not drive extremely high speeds, Avoid sudden acceleration, do NOT drive at constant speed for extended periods).

Sounds typical, although I recall a few years back a Toyota sales guy told me that Toyota's no longer needed a break-in period!... although, if i looked this up in the manuals it always said to break it in.

Anyway, that's all for now....

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Do you think our vehicles, which sat at the port for up to 8 months, were sitting there at a high state of charge? I certainly hope not, but if so, it could explain some of our troubles (inability to fast charge, poor range etc.)—perhaps the battery degraded while sitting. Then again, I can't imagine they'd have been shipped in that way; though with the lack of consideration insofar as they how they were left outside in the elements during the recall, and arrived in such a state at their dealers...I am not so sure.

The other recommendations sound like standard advice to prevent uneven brake wear (which would apply similarly to an EV), as well as advice to break-in a new ICE engine ('avoid sudden acceleration', 'do not drive at constant speed'), which is odd.

First, i wonder completely about the state of the battery sitting at Port. I doubt though they were at a full-charge, although, who's to say they didn't even bother charging them ever while they sat there, in fact i'm pretty sure they didn't ... so i wonder if they depleted to ZERO at all, which is also harsh on the battery. I do know that mine must have sat there without being moved for a long time because my 12v battery needed to be replaced within a couple weeks of use.

2nd, I don't know enough about the EV engine to know what is moving in there that could be damaged by sudden acceleration, but I guarantee EVERYONE that has driven one, has done it! Just to see how good it is and feel that torque.

Also, wouldn't understand how "constant speed" would have hurt an EV engine either, because its not like we are going to seat any Valves!! :ROFLMAO:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.