After three years of looking for a new vehicle for my wife, we finally took the plunge and bought a BZ4x two weeks ago. The final choice came down to the Model Y and the BZ, and after doing our research (thanks in part to this forum) and building a checklist of what was important to us, we finally pulled the trigger on the BZ. This is our first EV and also first car that is part of the digital age, and the last couple of weeks have been an adventure.
- The BZ drives like a dream. The acceleration, handling and sure-footedness of the car makes it fun to drive and it's super comfortable.
- The heads up display. We checked out a bunch of Youtube reviews and many critics panned the BZ for not being able to see through the steering wheel. My wife is 5' and I'm 6'1". Without adjusting the steering column between drivers, we can both easily see the instrument cluster without taking our eyes off the road.
- The entertainment system and center console. Configuring the entertainment system is a work in progress, but we really like the 12 inch screen and the layout of the buttons for the climate control etc.
- Styling, fit and finish. We looked at the Mach and VW EV early on, and the quality of both were far below the Toyota.
- Golf Cart Mode. This feature was a head scratcher at first, but I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic for 5 miles the other day it it was great not to need to keep switching between brake and accelerator.
- Glass Roof. The glass roof brings a ton of natural light into the car which makes the interior feel more spacious.
The Head Scratchers...
- Please, for the love of God Toyota, come out with a software update to turn off the back-up buzzer. I know the car is in reverse because since I just shifted it in reverse. When I'm parallel parking I also have multiple censors buzzing and chirping and I don't need another one.
- The wireless charger doesn't work when your phone is in a case. Come on Toyota, I have a half dozen $10 Amazon wireless chargers around the house and none of them an issue with my phone case.
- The climate control/range guestimate.. Huh? So you're telling me if I need to stay warm I lose 20%ish of my range? Toyota needs to either figure out how to estimate range better or design a more efficient heat pump.
Things I need to figure out...
Granted, I didn't read the owners manual, but it would be nice if Toyota put out a tips and tricks video to get people started.
The parking brake in the center console - I press it and nothing seems to happen.
The Sync button - I don't know what it's for and nothing happens when I press it.
"Hold" in the center console- ????
Overall the vehicle has been great and we're super happy with the purchase. We tend to keep vehicles for 10+ years and hope to keep our first EV for just as long.