Toyota BZ Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont mind the longer charging time, but I was told by my salesman that you can only use the DC fast charging for a max of twice a day only. Is it possible to drive longer distances a day with this vehicle? My bz4x is here (FWD), just waiting for the rebate to be processed. The BZ4X came first, but I am still on the waiting list from the other manufacturers.

· Registered
27 Posts
I don't think the charging stations are the problem, its likely the speed of the DC fast charging. The DC fast charger really cooks the batteries...not limited to the Bz. With a Tesla, some of the cooling pumps will turn on to keep the battery pack cool. Since the Bz doesn't have that capability ( haven't really checked ), its likely the sales person saying that its likely not a good idea. The way the Bz deals with the heat issue, it will get you to 80% within an hour, but the final 10% is used to cool down the batteries and trickle in the charge in order to not fry the batteries.

So you can fast charge as much as you want, but battery health is the concern.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A guy at Reddit did a trip and there was no issues at all. I am also fine with the DC charging time as well. The last time in the cold it took in 36 mins from 23% to 80% SOC. That is from a 100kwh charger, although I have the FWD version.

· Registered
99 Posts
A guy at Reddit did a trip and there was no issues at all. I am also fine with the DC charging time as well. The last time in the cold it took in 36 mins from 23% to 80% SOC. That is from a 100kwh charger, although I have the FWD version.
That is good to know. I'm still waiting for my FWD version. Dealer wants to sell me an AWD. I want the FWD because of the quicker charging time.

· Registered
26 Posts
That is good to know. I'm still waiting for my FWD version. Dealer wants to sell me an AWD. I want the FWD because of the quicker charging time.
unless you absolutely need to DO NOT buy the AWD version in the US. You get a far inferior battery. Dont know Toyota's reasoning and whether that will change in future supply, but stay away from the AWD with the CATL battery. FWD and all international cars (AWD & FWD) have the panasonic battery

· Registered
42 Posts
Other than the 100kw vs 150kw charging speed, has the CATL battery been definitively proven to be vastly inferior? I also don't understand the reasoning behind the US AWD vehicles getting that battery, but as for other factors, like winter performance, it seems that European reviewers have similarly had range loss issues with their AWD vehicles—which have the Panasonic battery, as far as I know.

· Registered
27 Posts
unless you absolutely need to DO NOT buy the AWD version in the US. You get a far inferior battery. Dont know Toyota's reasoning and whether that will change in future supply, but stay away from the AWD with the CATL battery. FWD and all international cars (AWD & FWD) have the panasonic battery
I am told you can buy a bag of rice in China, which was called Caffee at some point in its life, for 2,000,000 wan. Really not sure what that has to do with anything, but wanted to contribute to another useless bit of information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts