Toyota BZ Forum banner

Charging Speed

15K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Capitola 
I've yet to hear from anyone who has attained anything even remotely close to 100 kW DC charging speeds—however briefly—with the AWD model. Knowing what we now know of the battery's true usable capacity (about 60 kWh to "0" on the gauge, and another 4-5 kWh remaining past zero), a ~10%-80% DC fast charging session would only be adding about 40 kWh to the battery.

How long should it reasonably take for a battery rated at 100 kW peak charging speeds to charge a mere 40 kWh on a 100 kW+ fast charger?

We really need to figure to what extent Toyota is simply throttling these CATL batteries (and if so, why), or if the CATL batteries are of a legitimately inferior design. Since the decision to use them only on North American AWD's seems to be a head scratcher, there has to be more to the story. It's not as if other manufacturers aren't utilizing CATL batteries as well...and charging them at much higher speeds. I wonder if there are other hardware differences between the vehicles with CATL batteries, vs. the Panasonics.

In any case, what's the point of offering an industry leading battery retention warranty if the battery's capabilities are stunted from the get-go?
From Canada:
I think toyota thought they knew a lot about EVs because of their prior experience with Hybrids (they seem to be good at those), but have discovered there is a bit more tech they should have got their engineers to learn. We are (like everyone else it seems) very disappointed in our AWD, Charging rates in the 25-35 kW is normal although we once got up to 46...yeehaaaa!. Range is way down from advertised as everyone seems to be experiencing. Dealer not helpful at all because they have no idea how to figure EVs out and seem to on defensive for Toyota providing the usual 'protecting battery life' excuses. I keep telling them that I would rather have a good useful car for ten years than a crappy one that won't do its job for twenty. I suggested last week that we might try for warranty since after 6 months the car is already below the 10% they warranty for....they didn't respond ~ ~.
I wonder if any of these software updates are coming to Canada? I'd be very happy if we could maintain even a 45 or 50 kW charge. One day it took us 35 minutes to get 15% gain from a 50 kW charger. We have had times when it held steady at 20 kW from a 150 kW charger! Doesn't seem to matter what the SOC is when we start unless it is close to 75% or so...then it becomes a waste of time anyway.