Toyota BZ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this isn’t the right forum for this, but does anyone here have enough car expertise to know whether or not damaged clear coat requires an entire panel to be repainted? Or can a spot simply be ‘touched-up’ (and still protect the base coat, and look presentable)?

I nearly took delivery the other day of a BZ4X I’d put my deposit down on nearly 7 months ago, but several factors gave me pause. First, the car is now a solid 15% more expensive than it was when I ordered it (i.e., loss of 1/2 of the tax rebate, increase in APR), and though I hashed things out with the sales and finance managers at the dealership for over two hours, no amount of playing with the numbers—short of them selling below MSRP—could get things anywhere close to where they had been (as far as price) when I’d placed the order.

Another factor was the paint. Though my dealer had clearly washed the vehicle (it was still wet when I arrived), and assured me that it had still had the white plastic protective film on it when they received it, it appears that its 5 month stint at the port did not do the vehicle any favors. Overall, the car looked okay—it just didn't look factory new. Exterior plastic components had a whitewashed appearance, which might be expected of a used car, but not a new one. But more concerning was that there were multiple, half-dollar sized, irregularly shaped splotches in the paint (perhaps in areas where the plastic film was not applied?), and on multiple different panels.

In general, I am not a particular picky person, but my understanding is that damage to a vehicle’s clear coat can spread, and eventually lead to peeling. That said, without attacking these spots with some rubbing compound, it’s hard to say for certain that they wouldn’t eventually buff out, but in feeling them with my thumbnail, the spots were significant enough to give me concern; they didn’t appear to be residue.

I completely understand that new cars sometimes sit on dealer’s lots for months on end, but they’re typically attended to—bird droppings (which is what I believe caused the damage) would not simply weather and bake onto a car’s exterior for months. In the case of this BZ4X, however, my gut feeling is that the vehicle was simply not attended to while at the port (I think I'd naively been assuming that the vehicles were being stored inside their shipping containers...).

In any case, I didn’t take delivery of the vehicle, and told my dealer I needed a few days to think about it. If the paint issue is going to add significant cost (as opposed to it just being a simple touch-up job, which perhaps I could talk the dealer into covering), then I think it would seal my decision to back out of the deal—which hopefully I can still do despite my [significant] deposit.

Have others here who've recently taken delivery run into similar issues? How did you resolve them?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Wow, if I could wait, I would wait for new ones to be shipped from Japan.

I had not thought about how poorly they would maintain them during port storage.

I'll be sure not to accept any for a while.

Poor job on Toyota's part.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The MSRP did not increase. Just go to the Toyota web site and build one online. The MSRP has remained the same. It sounds like there is a hidden markup somewhere. I would try another dealer.
I must've been unclear somewhere. I didn't mean to imply that the vehicle's ballooning cost on my end was a result of an increase in the vehicle's MSRP. The increased cost is simply relative to what I'd been expecting to pay back when I placed the order, versus what I will be paying now—with at least half the tax rebate gone, and a higher financing rate.

When I placed the order, it was going to be a ~$40,000 vehicle, inclusive of fees and interest, and in consideration of the full tax credit and local utility rebates; now, with higher APR and partial loss of rebates, its a ~$50,000 vehicle.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
I must've been unclear somewhere. I didn't mean to imply that the vehicle's ballooning cost on my end was a result of an increase in the vehicle's MSRP. The increased cost is simply relative to what I'd been expecting to pay back when I placed the order, versus what I will be paying now—with at least half the tax rebate gone, and a higher financing rate.

When I placed the order, it was going to be a ~$40,000 vehicle, inclusive of fees and interest, and in consideration of the full tax credit and local utility rebates; now, with higher APR and partial loss of rebates, its a ~$50,000 vehicle.
That is true without the rebates and higher interest rates. i put my deposit down at the beginning of June
 

· Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
The OP has 2 separate issues to consider.

1- Price OTD today .vs. his expectations when the vehicle was ordered months ago.

2- Paint quality.

IMO, if the paint condition is suspect, or doesn’t meet the buyer’s standards (assuming those expectations are reasonable), I’d walk. Even at a reduced price, I’d fear I’d only achieved a delay in what would, at some point in the future, an out-of-pocket expense to correct the flaws.

As for the price differential, that’s a decision only the OP can make, based on his financial condition and his desire to purchase the vehicle. It’s a shame those of us who placed orders well before there was even any hint of a change in rebates now are looking at a significantly higher OTD price, but that’s the way it is. Some, things simply are out of our control.

It seems that those of us wishing to move into the EV world are going to be caught up in a 2-4 year “void”, in which choices are going to be extremely limited, at best... and wait times may be quite long.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top