Toyota BZ Forum banner
101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
It’s going to be difficult to give exceptions to one and not others, especially if others also already have a significant manufacturing footprint in NA and have made efforts to prepare for EV production in NA.
BINGO!!!

Toyota is moving EVs to Georgetown, KY and Panasonic is looking to build 2 battery plants in the US -partnering with Toyota.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting to note that Toyota has upped spending to over 2.5 BILLION to build US battery production. Not to mention that Panasonic has signed agreements to use US lithium.

(Saw both of these on the Solterra forums this morning - JayEM and StevenH)
They better! Toyota is one of the biggest winners in the tax credit change, thanks to Manchin. Not only are they no longer up against the 200k limit of the old law, but in the next few years they'll probably be pumping out PHEV versions of a bunch of their hybrids. And they'll be able to get 4x the number of tax credits, because the batteries in their PHEVs are 1/4 the size of that in a full BEV and the battery component and minerals sourcing will be the limiting factor in the credits going forward. Honestly, they'd probably be smart to slow down production of the bZ4X to free up resources for their PHEVs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honestly, they'd probably be smart to slow down production of the bZ4X to free up resources for their PHEVs.

Maybe in the short term, but the further Toyota elects to delay aggressively entering the US EV market, the more room they give the competition to soak up market share.
People are pretty darn happy with their RAV4 Primes, though. I have a feeling ICE/Hybrid -> PHEV -> BEV is gonna be a common path. Not sure they lose much market share proceeding at a more measured pace.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
People are pretty darn happy with their RAV4 Primes, though. I have a feeling ICE/Hybrid -> PHEV -> BEV is gonna be a common path. Not sure they lose much market share proceeding at a more measured pace.
We love the Rav4 Prime. For almost all local trips, all electric. If need to go longer, around 40mpg on gas. Just want full EV so I can put my money where my mouth is and tell OPEC to _ _ _ _ off!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I'm hoping this is out way to get the tax credits back for those of us who are waiting and couldn't get a binding contract.

There is quite a bit of lobbying by various CEO's, chairmen and automotive groups for a delay or waiver. Not sure if it will happen but has happened many times in the past for various laws. The Buy American law has been granted waiver after waiver after waiver.

Also, many other countries from the EU and Asia are hitting CONgress and the Biden Administration on this issue. Much of it on WTO and Free Trade pacts already in place. South Korea even gives subsidies to imported US cars from the agreement so it's not surprising they would be pissed the most.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm hoping this is out way to get the tax credits back for those of us who are waiting and couldn't get a binding contract.

There is quite a bit of lobbying by various CEO's, chairmen and automotive groups for a delay or waiver. Not sure if it will happen but has happened many times in the past for various laws. The Buy American law has been granted waiver after waiver after waiver.

Also, many other countries from the EU and Asia are hitting CONgress and the Biden Administration on this issue. Much of it on WTO and Free Trade pacts already in place. South Korea even gives subsidies to imported US cars from the agreement so it's not surprising they would be pissed the most.

This bill was clearly manipulated and then rushed through for the US's on internal bureaucratic reasons. Self-serving. The Korean's make very valid points, especially about the incentives they give the US for importing US-made vehicles! duh! This stupid bill was all about the mid-term elections this year and Mr. West Virginia screwed with the bill to make it worse.

I like somethings in this bill, but man, in the end, they made a mess of it..... just like normal (one-side is always trying to squeeze unnecessary crap into what should be a simple bill).

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
This bill was clearly manipulated and then rushed through for the US's on internal bureaucratic reasons. Self-serving. The Korean's make very valid points, especially about the incentives they give the US for importing US-made vehicles! duh! This stupid bill was all about the mid-term elections this year and Mr. West Virginia screwed with the bill to make it worse.

I like somethings in this bill, but man, in the end, they made a mess of it..... just like normal (one-side is always trying to squeeze unnecessary crap into what should be a simple bill).
It definitely doesn't promote clean vehicles, at least right now. Removing 70% of EV's from the list in one instant isn't the way to do anything clean.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Korea Trade Rep. visits US for trade negotiations on the new EV tax credit and loss of it immediately. Korea, as well as EU being very vocal about this. Japan being silent.

·
Registered
96 Posts

"We will keep a close watch on future developments and will consult and consider how to respond to them in cooperation with the government," a Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association spokesperson said.

Toyota referred inquiries to the Alliance for Automotive Innovation, which said the auto industry will continue to work with the U.S. government to promote EV tax credits.

Well, these are some strongly worded responses…

·
Registered
57 Posts
"We will keep a close watch on future developments and will consult and consider how to respond to them in cooperation with the government," a Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association spokesperson said.

Toyota referred inquiries to the Alliance for Automotive Innovation, which said the auto industry will continue to work with the U.S. government to promote EV tax credits.
Sounds like a "Thanks for asking. We're monitoring the situation..." non-response.

I don't think it's a big enough deal for the big Japan auto makers to make waves...Toyota was already planning on investing in batteries and production in North America (i.e. the bZ5X, scheduled to start production in Georgetown in late 2023). Why rock the boat when you stand to gain very little (bZ4X/Solterra/RZ aren't high-volume vehicles).

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Been thinking with all the pressure from foreign countries and the automakers themselves, there might be some sort of waiver or delay. Also thought there might be a softening after elections so that the politicians look like they held fast to the agreement. Maryland’s governor might be the first politician to come out and say what I’ve been thinking. He’s a centrist GOP governor so to me, that brings hope that a softening / phase in could be added without a huge political battle. Thoughts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Been thinking with all the pressure from foreign countries and the automakers themselves, there might be some sort of waiver or delay. Also thought there might be a softening after elections so that the politicians look like they held fast to the agreement. Maryland’s governor might be the first politician to come out and say what I’ve been thinking. He’s a centrist GOP governor so to me, that brings hope that a softening / phase in could be added without a huge political battle. Thoughts?
I think it's possible. But Gov. Hogan's opinion was given during a 9-day trip he made to South Korea as part of a delegation. I don't blame him for taking a position of "cautious hope" -- he's going there to improve trade relations, not pick a fight. It sounds like the same "cautious hope" expressed by some that the recall will be resolved in October.

Ultimately he has no control over whether there is a waiver or a delay, though he can certainly attempt to influence those who do.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts